5 Ways to Be an Unforgettable Leader
What is it that makes a leader great? A great leader leaves a positive legacy in the lives of those following. Effective leadership impacts lives in a way that is never forgotten. The author explores the qualities of such a leader.
Click on the title of this article, read it and then come back and post your comment on the impact someone has had in your life.
Can you think of a leader in your life that made a lasting impression? Was it a teacher from when you were in school? Was it someone you admired and read about? Was it a leader you worked for?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
94 comments:
When I first started out in the corporate world the controller of the organization that I worked for had a profound impact on me. It wasn't until years later that I realized it was his leadership style that made such an impact. Mr. Valanni had each of the 5 characteristics discussed in the article.
He showed his caring for people that worked under him by always encouraging them to succeed and providing them the tools to do so. He was the one who encouraged me to go to college and earn a degree. I never thought I would go as far as I did, but he thought I would.
Mr. Valinni was also very bold. He was straight forward and honest. He told you what you needed to hear, not necessarily what you wanted to hear. He always said that he needed to have your best interest in mind because it was ultimately in his best interest to do so. It took years, again, to understand what he meant by this.
Mr. Valinni was as secure as Fort Knox. He constantly showed his staff the best practices he learned along his career path. He knew, even if we didn’t, that by providing us with the knowledge to do a better job, we would make him look that much better as a leader.
Imperfection was not a stranger to Mr. Valanni. He often shared stories of his learning experiences, as he often called his mistakes. He made it a point to always address whatever mistake as the lesson of the moment. He never made you feel like you were inadequate when you made mistakes but that you learned something.
It is difficult at times to see the joy leaders have in their work but this was definitely not the case with Mr. Valanni. Our office would often joke each day at 2:00 that Mr. Valanni was off to do the “Valanni Shuffle” as we called it. Mr. Valanni would make the rounds each day to talk with the employees in all the departments. From the maintenance staff to the president of the company, Mr. Valanni’s day was not complete until he made sure he chatted a few minutes with each employee to make sure everything was running smoothly and that concerns anyone had were addressed. He did this with such pride. I was always amazed by this, that he would take the time to talk with each person.
When I size myself up and try to critique my leadership abilities I always use Mr. Valanni as my example. To this day, he is the best example of a leader I have encountered. One day I hope to be as good a leader as he.
Ira Dickinson who was my instructor for basic electrical wiring vocational education. Mr. Dickinson was truly a genuine leader to me, reason there was times when I just wanted to give up and do something else, but Mr. Dickinson would always have encouraging words that would make me press forward, after four year's of apprenticeship school, I took on the responsibilities of being a foreman running the electrical portion of a new job and organizing workers to complete asign work task for a two story building. Mr.Dickinson to me was one of a kind, great team leaders a business mind man that knew how to handle peer to peering communicating valuable information to those that wanted to listen and learn. Comment Posted by: Wayne Wilson
I have the pleasure of working with Mr. Cardozo, and to be honest with you, I did not realize that he is such a great leader until I read the article. He is a very good Architect, and sees solutions for projects faster than the rest of us. He often visits every person in the area where I am, and is very involved in each project and in our lives. He likes to talk about simple and complex problems that every human being deals with, to open our minds and analyze different point of view. Also, he shows us that we can get excellent results being educated and polite, treating coworkers in the same way, we would like to be treated.
In my opinion, there are some important characteristics that define him as a leader.
First, Mr. Cardozo very often reviews the progress of the projects, and asks our opinions before he takes the decision of what will be the final design, that makes us to feel important in the project development. He said that is very important to stimulate the way of thinking – proposing diverse solutions that will end in satisfactory results.
In addition, he really cares about our happiness. All the time when he enters into the office, he says, you will have five minutes of happiness, that means, five minutes enjoying with him drinking coffee or just talking about something else. After a few weeks, I figured out, that to be in a happy working environment makes you produce more than be in an unhappy environment.
Another interesting aspect of Mr. Cardozo is that he always says what he thinks and believes. It does not matter, what your position is in the Organization; he tells it to you straight. Sometimes, in my opinion could be imprudent, but he is able to build any kind of relationship based on the truth, and if he is incorrect, he will admit his mistake. According to him, life is a learning process that you can not stop. He wishes that all the information he shares with us will be very helpful by the time he retires.
Finally, as a leader Mr. Cardozo does not know the positive impact that he has been in my life. Motivating me, to improve my English skills, to take the A.R.E., and to participate in the Leadership Development Program, but the most important thing that he express with his actions is the believe that everything you want to achieve, you can get it working hard, for that reason Mr. Cardozo is a leader.
I would have to say of all the people in my life that I've learned from Chief Petty Officer Matthews had the most influenance on me. When I frist join the Navy I wanted to be a Officer. But some bad choices ended that career path. I fiqure that I do my four and get out and go to college.
I had no ambition to become a leader. I just wanted to due time and get out. I refuse to take the leadership exam twice. But Cheif Matthews saw more in me than just another sailor. So he taught me how to be a good petty. How to work hard and take of my people. Never to said them to do something that you are not willing to do yourself. The next time I took the leadership test and was promoted to petty officer. I bacame a workcenter supervisor,ship defence team;team leader. The following year I took the leadership exam again and was promoted. Even thought I was junior of the 2nd class petty officer in my division, But because of the leadership skills that Cheif Matthews taught me I became Lead divisional petty officer. Those skills help me for the thirdteen years I was in the Navy and now today. That why I took this class to better myself further.
Laurie! Laurie! Laurie! I will always remember Laurie. She was the CFO, and I was her secretary.
Laurie was awesome. When she walked into the room, she commanded attention. When she spoke, you had not choice but to listen.
The best way I can describe her persona is through the statement she made to me as she hired me: "You will never have to wonder what I am thinking, because I will always tell you."
I can honestly say that Mr. Pauletta, the first principal I worked for when I started working in this school district, possessed all five of the leadership qualities outlined in the article. As the principal of Fort Lauderdale High School’s Adult Education program at the time, he really cared about people; and worked at offering evening classes adults could take to better themselves. Mr. P, (as I endearingly refer to him now) was jolly and cheerful most of the time. With his bold personality and temperament, one always knew where one stood with him. Whether it was discussing politics or the latest decision the school board took on a particular issue, he always voiced his opinion with whoever was willing to listen. Every year while he went over my evaluation, he shared anecdotes from his life’s experience, and he always ended our meeting with encouraging words. “Always invest in yourself”; “plan your work and work your plan”, and “build on what you have” are a few of his favorite expressions that I now find repeating to my sons at times. His legacy to me is a greater appreciation for education and lifelong learning. That is the true mark of an unforgettable leader.
Ron Wright of Professional Standards was one of my most impressive leaders. He was a no-nonsense kind of guy, but with a truly warm heart. He created the Professional Standards Department,an unwavering set of policies and rules, and stuck by his every conviction. He was a confident man, and subtly demanded attention wherever he went. As a boss, he was never condescending, even during petty arguments between co-workers, he was always fair. I always felt like I could approach him with any concern and knew I would have his attention and that he would respond honestly. He provided excellent support at work. He also threw a really good party!
When I think about what it is that make a great leader I immediately think of Lucy Thomas. I worked with Ms. Thomas for approximately 10 years. I will always admire her for the many hats she wore and continue to wear as a leader, mentor, mother, wife and friend.
I have to say I never meet a more caring person than Lucy. From the beginning she encourages me and others to return to school. She inspire me to do better, challenged me to learn every job in the office. Her love and concern for the staff and parents was overwhelming, she went as far as learning their native language (Creole) so she could communicate better with the parents.
For Ms. Thomas to be such a small/little lady everyone respect her for her straight forwardness. If she felt it she said it in such a positive way you would be eager to excel in your job.
I admire her for her confidence and how well she did her job and made is seem so effortless. Lucy was secure in not only her job but every job in the office. On some days she would be the bookkeeper, data processor, registrar, office manager and server in the cafeteria when necessary. Ms. Thomas did it all she was a stickler to know every 500 plus students by name.
I know the perfect person doesn’t exist but Ms. Thomas is close to being that perfect person, She would always tell me “together there’s nothing we can’t fix” It didn’t matter if it was her or I who made an error.
I hardly ever knew if and when Ms. Thomas was stressing or having a bad day. For the most part she always had a smile on her face and looking at you over those glasses would always ask “are you having a good day or what can I do to help make it a great day” In spite of how her day was going.
It was such a joy to work for such an amazing person. I know she is happy for me finally enrolled in school. I hope upon completion of this program I will display some of the same leadership qualities as Lucy Thomas.
I often think of my current principal's favorite comment, "It's not the hill to die on", when dealing with problems or situations.
CINDY T.
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2009
The course of my life has given me more than my share of unusual experiences and encountered quite a diversified range of people, attitudes, and styles. I am quite fortunate that my experiences are not only in the United States, but in a third world county as well. In all fairness, I have seen many admirable leaders and some not so admirable. It would be unjust to all my teachers , per say, to pick just one unforgettable leader.
The lasting impressions have all been rewarding. There have been both good and bad lessons to be learned. I have experienced the unfairness that leaders can possess, too bold and out for self indulgence. My experiences has shown me the caring, ignorant, rude, fair, and kind leaders. My encounters also include the imperfect, the thought so perfect, the admirable, and the less desired. But they all provided me a valuable lesson. They all inspired me and showed me what type of leader I would like to be and the qualities that I hope never get instilled in any aspect of my professional career. I am a firm believer that one must experience the not so great to be able to appreciate the true and good. There are a few people in the last few years who have inspired me greatly and provided many valuable lessons. I respect them profoundly and consider myself to be fortunate to have these influences in my current career. I consider myself even more fortunate to be able to recognize that they are a valuable aspect in my career and life. Therefor, everyone who has contributed in my professional development, has been my unforgettable leader.
POSTED BY CINDY T. AT 4:05 PM
LABELS: UNFORGETTABLE LEADER
The person who had a positive impact on me was my former principle, Mrs. Chambers. Mrs. Chambers was the type of person who had compassion and cared for her staff has well for their families. She would walk around the school every morning to speak to and check on every one, she always was there for her staff to talk to or listen if it was business or personal, always with a smile on her face.
On my first day at work she came over to me and said you must go and and further your education never just settle. I went and registered for school she was so happy, and help me with my projects and term papers. I completed my two year s with an Associate in Business Administration. Since working with her she encourage many clerical personal to go back to school, some have moved on to become office managers or teachers.
Mrs. Chambers was very helpful, if any staff needed her she was there, if you had to leave or was sick she would fill in work for you very multi-task person. Every staff member was treated the same has one big happy family.
Mrs. Chambers made sure that every clerical person was crossed trained in the office so would could be able to help each other out. She was amazing with the students they all respected her has she called them her (babies or nuckle heads) on the PA every morning, with an encouraging word.
It was a sad day when she had to leave and go to another school, I never saw so many people crying and upset, she told us its just a phone call away and she will always be there for us. Now she is retired, but we could still call her if needed and she will be there.
On other person Denise Smoak, Budgetkeeper at my school, to this Leadership class and it has made such positive impact on her,and how she handles herself, encourage me to take it. She has always been effective and sufficient in her job. Denise is a very responsible person and I enjoy working with her.
I plan on going back to school and getting my Bachelor's degree and along with this program it will help me to become a successful leader.
The leader who made the most impact in my life would be Ken Decker supervisor of central area.
When you list the 5 qualities of a good leader Ken has all of them.
Mr. Virgil (SAM) Morgan was my leadership role model. He was at the time my Guidance Counselor at Nova High. When I met him, I was a Junior their and my motto was, I just want to graduate.
With Mr. Morgan's pushing and prodding, my attitude eventually changed from just graduating to becoming a college graduate.
Mr. Morgan encouraged me to care by caring about what happened to me. He boldly demanded that I comple college applications and made me feel secure in my applying by telling me I could do anything I put my mind to.
In an imperfect world of the 1970s things were made perfect and joy was found through the leadership of Mr. Morgan.
I even came back to work for him some years later when he was the Broward County School Board's Superintendent. A great Leader encouraged an aspiring Leader.
There are several people that come to mind but the one person that has left an impression on me the most has to be Ilene "Queen" Garland. Ms. Garland was my Administrator for over 10 years and I can honestly say she constantly pushed for others to improve themselves. She's the type of person that could go and find a gem in midst a pile of fake stones, she will point that quality out about one's self that they themselves didn't know they posessed.
Queen truly walked a straight line with everyone, no favoritism at all and that I truly admired about her. She smiled all the time even when the days were truly rough, she'd find that glimmer of light. She was a warm and caring boss. If a mistake was made she would sit you down and go over it and find ways on how to correct it and if she made a mistake she wanted you to inform her and let her know how to correct it as well.
Ms. Garland would constantly look for ways to deal with "difficult" parents. She would have side bars, as she called them, with parents and ask them, "What can I do to help you?" As well as for the faculty and staff.
Very understanding and compassionate. I could go on and on about Queen because she was truly a pleasure to work with.
The one thing that has truly stayed with me all this time is her favorite saying, "Choose your battles, don't let your battles choose you. All battles are not worth fighting." I can truly say I live by this saying DAILY.
It is not an easy task to own all the five things to be the best memorable leader.
My first job in USA was at the Child Care Center where my daughter was going to... Mrs. Ann Williams was the director and she was a caring, secure, bold and enjoyable person. I did not know how much she would impact my life until later on. Mrs. Williams found gifts in me that I did not know I had, she always encourage me to do keep learning and do my best in everything I do. Thought me how to deal with different situations at work, how to deal with parents and coworkers and children as well and helped me to go to school to get better understanding of my job. She was always happy regardless of any situation and accepted her mistakes with humble. I am a better person, a better employee and a better parent because of Ms. Ann.
One phenomenal leader that I have currently in my life embodies all of these qualities. What's great about her is that she would always say "I don't know it all, and I am still learning." Wow! What a comment! I have learned that leaders are placed in positions to facilitate a strategic plan that have many rules and guidelines to ensure success. She also says, "rules without relationship equals rebellion." Which simply means you should not try to lead people without building relationships. In observing her interactions, it has afforded me the opportunity to see people go from being individuals to a team. If a team member shows signs of concern, she is always first to inquire first about the person's well being, and then deal with the problem. She is secure in who she is, tactful, knows the limits of her talents and abilities,and does it with a smile. She has encouraged me to be open to new experiences and thought processes, encourage others to use their talents to enhance their work product, be graceful, slow to speak and quick to listen under pressure continue to learn through each experience.
My supervisor Ms. Taylor is a leader and her are some of the reasons why: she has an open door policy and really listens to her employee's input; She starts each morning with a personal good morning to each of her staff as she walk about the office.
Ms. Taylor believes in team building and doesn't mind stepping in to assist whenever needed. She is good delegator and assigns tasks to her employees, because she has confidences in her team She is an visionary, always thining ahead to determine what is best for the department.
She is a great leader
I began a career in Education after I had already been impressed with my boss who was the City Manager of the city of Miami. While there was clearly a great deal of politics involved in our daily task, there was always room for the Manager to display his ability to care about people who worked for him and with him.
During those years, that City Manager inherited more power and influence than all the Commission combined. He had confidence and courage to confront the Commission just as ordinary men and women should be confronted. While there was always the constant threat of the commission amassing a majority vote to terminate the Manager, he never showed insecurity in his position. He always impressed upon us the need to perform the job skills that he hired us for and to do the best for the citizens of Miami.
I am sure that the manager had imperfections but we never had an opportunity to elaborate on them. He did have a like for the finer things in life. He was well dressed, polished, and suave. He was constantly a target of the print and electronic media. He never backed down from the public eye. He required staff to perform our jobs as though it was normal activity even if we were levying daily fines of 5 million dollars.
That kind of coolness and confidence combined with the skill to manage a major city like Miami Florida contributed to my much aspiration to excel at working in and with the public.
Because of my affiliation with Dr. Fran Vandiver, Dr. Francis Haithcock and Dr. Abraham Fishler. during the years that this school board of Broward County moved to become an innovator in the integration of technology into curriculum and management, these three people impressed me with all of the skills that we are mentioning. They impressed me with there ability to know how to adopt the truth to the individual and groups.
They moved the Inovation Zone concept right through the maze of uncertainty and insecurity. This was the strongest most supportive collaboration that I had ever witnessed.
They integrated technology usage and purchasing into school improvement plans forever. Dr. Vandiver insisted that I join her staff because of my knowledge of the zone and technology that I come to work at the high school level instead of the Elementary. Oh yes Dr. Vandiver insisted because the principal at the Elementary school did not want to release me nor did she support me in taking the test to become the Microcomputer Tech Specialist. Since joining the school district 21 years ago I have applied for positions at ETS each time that they were advertised.
I never got hired. After twenty one years, the Board made a budget forcast committee recommendation that moved me and several others to ETS. I have been there for three years. Its getting better and with these new skills, I look forward to learning more and serving this district in the fashion that I have been taught by those in my past and future.
The persons who had a major impacted on my life is my parents.
I remember that they thought me how to be the person I am today, especially during my high school years the hardest period within my adult life or should I say the turning point in my life.
As most parents implement rules and regulations Mr and Miss Reynolds objective were to instilled values and hard work within me. They thought me the importance of not giving up on my objectives in life, of course sometimes I thought that the rules and regulations they implemented were too tough to follow. Understanding the reality of what they had been preaching soon became clear.
The other qualities my parents tends to elaborate on constantly was to be honest.
In every organization especially on a leadership level, honesty has always been
one of the more important word pertaining to a great leader. With honesty at the four front of any leader decisions things are more likely to go well than if the truth had been covered.
This is why I am driven to accomplish bigger and better things in life. Hard work
dedication and a constant thirst for knowledge will lead anyone to the formula for success. So with parents like Mr and Miss Reynolds who live their life has an example for everyone including family to see would more or less be perfected candidates for the title to be called Rollmodles and or Good Leaders.
I just wanted to comment on how this program has made so many changes in my life in such a short period of time. I don't know if it's what it represents or the actual class, but whatever it is, it's working and I am very pleased to be a part of it! What I have learned so far, I will take with me for the rest of my life. It's amazing how little things can change you, like how to speak to others, the way to say things..I get to see how others are affected and go through the same things I go through on a day to day basis. I look forward to each part of the course I take and am inspired to complete it and apply all of my newly found skills!
The best leader and mentor that I have had the privilege of working for is Dr. Verda Farrow. She is one of the most caring, geniune, and intelligent woman that I know. She has a great work ethic and is highly respected.
Dr. Farrow brings out the best in people. She is very complimentary of her staff and motivates everyone to strive to be their best. Dr. Farrow told me that I have good leadership skills and that I can accomplish anything that I set my mind to. With that, I started college and this Leadership Program.
Another quality that Dr. Farrow has is compassion. Not only did she demonstrate that last year when the student at Dillard High School was shot and killed, but also when I told her that my 45 year old brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
I have been truly blessed to have had such an awesome leader!
When I think of a great leader, I think of my former director, Dr. Russell Clement. Not only was Dr. Clement easygoing and caring, he was a very hard worker. He was a team player all the way.
DonnaM
The first person that comes to mind when I think of a great leader is my friend, Jerry Donaldson. Jerry was a supervisor on another account at my former place of employment and he and I became friends over the years that I worked there. Even though he did not supervise me, I was privileged to have the opportunity to work with him on special projects/assignments; which is what gave me a better insight on his leadership skills. As a friend, he was trustworthy and reliable -- as a supervisor, he was a great asset to our company.
Jerry always had a way of making a lasting impression that exemplified dignity and ethics; he wasn’t a ‘yes’ man or one to ‘throw someone under the bus’. I’m not saying he pretended to be without fault…. As a matter of fact, he was not afraid to take responsibility for mistakes/shortfalls; even when it resulted from someone he supervised. Basically, he had this mindset that if one of his employees made a mistake, it was a direct reflection of him and therefore his fault. He was bold, but in a very tactful manor… He had a ‘can do’ attitude no matter how great the challenge. Whenever he had an issue to resolve, his style was to: 1) get the facts, 2) consider resolution options and 3) solve it by doing his part and delegating responsibilities to appropriate staff.
His willingness to effectively delegate was how I observed that he was secure within himself. Also, he encouraged his employees when a few of them decided to go back to or start college. He was a great listener; which is what I appreciate most about him. Jerry truly cared for people and that’s what made him the type of leader/friend that anyone can easily go to for help or mentoring. He was my sounding board on many a day. Overall, he did everything with a smile; which is not easy. To go through each day without a frown, even when it feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, is an admirable quality. For these reasons, I will always remember him as an example of a great leader.
-Cheryl Johnson
I can't just narrow down 1 person that has made an impact on my life with great leadership qualities. I have not only been impacted by positive leaders, but also poor leadership abilities too. I try and remember how someone is encouraging and makes everyone feel and then take mental notes to try that trait in my own interactions. On the other hand I also make sure that I do not use techniques that are negative or discouraging.
Two of my most memorable leaders were both my bosses. The first was a deaf architect who had so much faith in his employees that you couldn't help but want to do your best and to always improve on your education in every aspect of life! He was a great role model and never expected anything from anyone that he wouldn't do himself.
And the second is my current boss who is always fair, logical and open to new ideas or outlooks on every situation. Observing her interact with employees, parents or her superiors is always educational and makes me strive to be more like her.
The most influential person in my life is my boss, Mr. Watkins. Mr. Watkins was an Assistant Principal when he was assigned to Whiddon Rogers. He was in charge of the DJJ progams where I worked.
Mr. Watkins is a person whose management style I appreciate. He is the type of leader that leads by example. He is honest and fair. He is straight forward and tells it like it is.
When given an assignment he expects that assignment to be done in a timely manner. He does not micro-manage.
Mr. Watkins recently became the Principal at Whiddon Rogers. In my opinion, no one deserved the opportunity more than Mr. Watkins.
He is a compassionate leader, who cares about his employees. If he doesn't know, he does not have a problem with stating that. He is always willing to listen and he shows a genuine interest in your opinion.
I have worked under several supervisors in my career but Mr. Watkins stands alone as the best supervisor that I have worked for.
I came from being a housewife for many years and was very blessed to be coupled with Mrs Fye a great Kindergarten teacher with all 5 qualities. The greatest impact she had in my life is the ability to talk softly. Mrs Fye's students would be in a uproar and she would tap very lightly on her desk and speak very softly by counting to 3. The students would sit up strait & tall with there hands in front of them very quietly as it they were the greatest students in the whole world. She would commend them for how wonderful they were. She would say Mrs Fye like that, and they would smile with great pride. I was a screamer and couldn't understand how that worked, when she would leave the room for a few minutes the kids would act as if I was not there. I would cream and talk in a disciplinary voice and It didn't work. I talked to them the way I talked with my own children & they obeyed, oh my. I asked her how do you do that and she so sweetly answered they just need love, they're all good. I said Lord I want that gift. I tried it Mrs Fye's way and it really really worked. I am no longer a screamer. In all situations I am a meek and quiet speaker in the mist of situations and conflict. Thank you Mrs. Fye.
There have been several leaders in my life, during different stages of my life. But, when it comes to a leader in the workforce, it would have to be Mary Ellen Fowler. Mrs. Fowler has shown me, by example, that a leader can be strict, yet have a soft touch. She has shown me that you learn more by listening to what someone is not saying, as opposed to what they are actually saying. Respect is so very important, it must be given, before it is received. I only hope that one day I will be as good a leader to others, as she has been to me.
The leader who made the most impact in my life would be Anna Wright, Supervisor 1 of District Maintenance. She express all of the characteristics listed in this blog. Also, she believes in the "TEAM CONCEPT" and is always thinking ahead to determine what's best for the team (Department).
The person who has a positive impact on me is my principal Mr. Watkins. I also had the pleasure of working with him as my assistant principal. He is a genuine person, one who really cares about his staff and knows how to handle our difficult students. He encourages you to learn and become more. He is always willing to help you with anything work related or a personal issue. If he cannot help you he will get you the right resources. He is a joy to work for. He is a great leader and friend, he is definitely one who has all the leadership qualities.
There are two people that have had an impact in my life. The first one would be my mother (Mrs. Graham), who raised me as a single parent after my parents divorced. My mother always put me and my needs first, no if ands or buts about it and she made sure I went to school everyday and to Church. I would like to commend my mother for raising a strong, independent woman and always being there for me spiritually, mentally and physically.
The other person would have to be Mr. Watkins, my principal at Whiddon-Rogers Education Center. I have known Mr. Watkins for about 6 years now and he has never changed. I just thank him for his awesome leadership skills and great personality. He is a caring administrator, motivator and always have encouraging words to say to you. That is what a great leader is all about and I thank both of my mentors (my mother and Mr. Watkins for always encouraging me to do my best).
Several people come to mind as I read the article, "5 Ways to Be an Unforgettable Leader." I have had the pleasure to work under Deborah Henneberg. Although not a Director, she is a leader to HRD. Everything Deborah does is for the good of our department. Her patience and understanding goes a long way. She encourages me to do my best and his helped me realize that I can achieve what I set out to do. Deborah shows she cares about her job, and the people around her. Her leadership skills as well as the type of person she is, has made me want to be a better worker and person. Deborah has not only made an impact on me, but on many people around me. Thank you Deborah for your guidance and leadership!
The person that come to my mind regarding unforgettable leader is Dr. Earlean Smiley. She has all those characteristics. She was the type of leader that was firm but fair. Treated everyone with respect. I will never forget the impact that she made on my life. If you want something you have to work hard and get it.
A leader that has made a lasting impression is my husband. I have only known him in a leadership role. He has proven to his employees that you are able to advance within a company through hard work and dedication. He went to work at a hotel right out of college until his retirement after 31 years.
He has overcome 2 recessions without having to terminate his employees but shifted hours and kept them on payroll and 3 hotel renovations. His challenges were great but always kept an up beat attitude no matter of the obstacles. The many meetings he has had with all his employees had some with good news, and some with not so good news but always truthful and positive.
His employees knew they had equal-opportunities for advancements and had been a mentor to many of which had succeeded in management and as managers. He had always treated his staff as family but was able to change into his roll as a leader when necessary. His staff loved him and respected him because they knew he would give them a straight answer or get back to them. Turn over was at a minimal because the employees enjoyed what they were doing as much has their leader did. He has always taken time to listen and understand his employees and able to say what was necessary and be fair. I try to emulate him with his listening skills and his problem solving techniques. He listens and makes sure he has all the information before making a decision. He is my mentor.
The one person who has made a lasting impression in my life, I must say is my friend, Anastasia Haxton. She is an educator at the school I currently work at. I have had the pleasure of knowing her for 8 years. When we first met she has done nothing but encourged me to fulfill my goals and accomplishments. She has all of the traits that are listed in the article. As for herself she is an aspiring administrator. Her bubbly personality stands out tremendously, and since befriending her I have noticed that I have the same wit and drive to learn bigger and better things. I know with her in my life I am well on my way to be coming a great leader. I am forever grateful for having her in my life.
Marilyn Laramore-Bozeman
The article was a attention getter in the sense that Ms. Cran admitted that it was the tough times that strengthened her leadership abilities. Often times we may think that when someone is tough that it is to put us down, and often it is not. We don't often see ourself or admit to our weaknesses such as being highly agressive and uncaring and it takes someone else to expose the truth. An unforgetable leader is someone that truly will leave an impact on your life that can carry over into some elses.
The individual that had the most influence on me was my older brother Rick. You see our Dad passed away when Rick was 15 years old. At that young age he shouldered the responsibility of helping Mom support and raise his 2 younger siblings. I know there were many times that he would have preferred to be out with his friends but Mom had to work and he made sure that we had dinner, did our homework, and kept an eye on us without complaining. He always had a great sense of humor and could make us laugh. He never grumbled if Mom told him before he could go out he would have to take me to a friends home. Rick went on to get his Masters Degree and hold a very prestigious position with the Federal Government always acting as a role model for the rest of us. I may not always see eye to eye with him but he always listens to what I have to say. There have been times when we wouldn't speak with each other, but when the chips are down I always know that he is there for me no matter how old I get.
The leader that has had the most profound impact on me is my late grandfather, George W. Major. While to the outside world he was a leader as Fire Chief of our hometown fire department, choir lead at our church and leader of a quarter for his Barbershop choir, most importantly to me he was a leader of our family. He encouraged us to strive to be the best, never settling for being average. He told us an education was important, whether it be through more schooling or learning a trade, hands-on. Of course he was caring, not only for the family, but for anyone he would come across in the course of a day. He made it known that he never thought he was perfect, that there was always a lesson for the day. He treated everyone in an equitable manner and if you showed the true desire, there was no limit to the amount of assistance he would give to see you reach your goals. I recently read a quote that reminded me of my grandfather and of this assignment- "Customer service is not a department; it's a way of thinking and a way of acting". That is among the most important qualities I learned from my grandfather.
Someone who has had an impact on my life is Mr. Randall W. Barr. Mr. Barr carries all of the traits mentioned in the article "5 Ways to Be an Unforgettable Leader."
What stands out the most about Mr. Barr is that he truly has a heart for people and is not too proud to admit when he's made a mistake. Mr. Barr is educated, but still approachable and down to earth. He posesses a wealth of knowledge and is always very eager to share what he knows.
Mr. Barr continues to be a teacher, mentor, and role model who leaves a positive impact on those with whom he has contact.
The person/leader that had an impact on me is a person by the name of Wally W. Denton (CSM) Retired USA. As a young soldier stationed in Korea at the time Mr. Denton was our units Senior Enlisted Advisor and he saw leadership traits in me that I didn't see in my self at the time. He mentorship allowaed me the opportunity to see how he interacted with both subordinates and superiors alike. CSM Denton did something very special for me. As I was enroute to my next duty assignment he made sure that I got promoted enroute. I was very much suprised. That has stuck with me through out and has enabled me to go that "Extra Mile" for people.
The persons who had a tremendous impact on my life were my pastor & his wife, Bill & Betty Jean Billingsley. The Billingsley’s came into my life when I was 8 years old and were my pastor & his wife from 1963 until the time of Bro. Bill’s death in August 1998. They were a integral part of my teen years and really helped mold me into the person I am today. Mrs. Billingsley was my piano teacher from the time I was 8 years old until I was 14 years old. I would go to lessons sometimes without having practiced during the week like I should have. Mrs. Billingsley would say to me “Now Debbie you didn’t practice this week like we agreed, did you?” I would always want to say “Yes I did” but knowing how Mrs. Billingsley asked me I couldn’t lie to her so I always had to admit that I had not and knowing how disappointed she was in me for not living up to my part of the agreement was the worst punishment I could receive. You can bet your bottom dollar that the next week I practiced longer than we had agreed! I always knew that the Billingsleys would be there for me no matter what I did or what I needed. When I was going off to college they encouraged me to continue living the way I had been at home and to always remember not only Who I am, but Whose I am!!! To this day those words are words that I take to heart and tried to instill the same in my own children. When I asked Bro. Bill if he would marry me (meaning officiate at my wedding) he looked at me with a serious face and said to me “Now Doll you know I’m already married.” He had such a sense of humor that was a great influence when things would be going wrong or I was feeling down and he always knew the right things to say. As I was going into major surgery the one thing I requested was that he come to the hospital and pray with me before I went in. He showed up at 6:00 am and the peace and comfort that I had going into surgery was the greatest feeling ever and I knew then that everything was going to be alright! When it was discovered in early 1997 that Bro. Bill had untreatable cancer and his prognosis was not good, they taught us how to live although you knew you were dying. At no time did they ever ask “Why” or feel sorry for themselves. They continued on with their lives and continued loving and caring for their congregation. They comforted us when we were down because of Bro. Bill’s diagnosis and they cheered us up with stories about things that they did and ways they were dealing with Bro. Bill’s destiny. Even today as I do things sometimes a saying that they used or something that they said to me when I was younger will pop into my head and I will remember with a smile the impact that they had on my life and also on my childrens’ lives.
Wow, after reading the article I am even more excited about the NILDP starting on Monday. Emma Garcia-Rose
If I had to say that I had a unforgettable leader that I admired and wanted to emulate it would be my grandmother. She was a woman of much strength, courage, wisdom, knowledge and most of all love. As a child and watching my grandmother endure with her illness and having to stop working in her 30’s she never let it get her down or keep her from being the grandmother she was to me and my cousin.
She not only taught me how to be the young lady I am today, but as a child I learn to be an obedient caring and respectful child to my grandmother as well as all adults. She always taught me to treat people with respect and do as I’m told and never to talk back to any adult. I learn how to clean up and cook by watching her take care of our house. I admired her so much for the person she was and for the person she taught me to be. No matter what came her way she always embraced it with courage and strength. The character I admire the most about my grandmother besides being the wise, lovable, caring person that she was she was a woman of much faith. She taught me how to believe in God and have faith in all situations no matter what came or went she always believe that things would get better and with God all things are possible you just have to put your trust in him and believe in him.
I saw her face many obstacles in her life but she faced them with boldness, courage and much faith. The most valuable lesson that she taught me was to pray and believe in God and to always put my trust in him and never do anything in life with praying and consulting him in all my decisions. She always made sure as a child that me and my cousins attended church and Sunday school every Sunday. I can truly say as an adult that I’m so grateful to her for her wisdom and for showing me how to be the woman that I have grown to be today.
My grandmother was not only a blessing to me, but to every life that she touched. She had a way of loving all people no matter how good or bad they where she always saw the good in people and believe that everyone should be giving a chance to do better. She was the best leader I could have ever had and admired.
Mrs. J.Williams is one of many who I can truly say is a 5 time leader . Personally speaking I have seen all five of these steps. A good leader allows for imperfections to not hinder her like most people, but instead to help herself and others. The care she shows for her students, her co-workers and through her women's prison ministry are ways that she shows she is a good leader. She is secure in her ignorance and she doesnt mind learning about what she doesnt know from others, and she is secure in what she does know. She is a person that possesses tact and if there is anything that you would need to know, whether its an imperfection or a problem you may have, she doesnt mind being that person to correctly address you in the right manner. Her joyous attitude is one of her many qualities that makes an encounter with her unforgettable! Even through dismal times, she would always manage to maintain that strong, supportive and collaborative attitude that makes her the unforgettable leader she is known to be today.
I must say the person who has had the most impact in my life has been my husband, Phil. When applying to college he was told his grades where so so for the engineering programs he was applying to. At the young age he had the courage to speak up at the interviews and told them just to give him a chance. Well, they did. He graduated top of his class and got the 3rd highest paid job off. He has implemented all the character of a unforgettable leader in all that he does, in his job, as a dad, volunteer work. Many years later he still receives emails, calls from people he has encouraged, inspired and cared for.
I know of an unforgettable leader; she is caring, bold, secure, joyful and imperfect; she is Vered Roberts, Principal at Hollywood Hills Elementary School. She genuinely cares; she has told me that she will do whatever she can to help me succeed, including writing a letter and agreeing to help me so that I could apply for this Non-Instructional Leadership Program. She is bold; she will ask boldly for funding for our school to help meet our needs. She is secure; she is an incredible leader and speaker who is highly respected by the parents and staff at HHE. She is joyful and a joy to be around; she greets people with a smile and reminds us that customer service is an important part of all of our jobs. Although her imperfections are very few, she is not afraid to admit when she needs help with something or to request assistance when she needs it. I am very fortunate to have such an incredible and unforgettable leader as my supervisor.
The leader who has impressed me the most is not because of their title or their resume but for the inspiration they invoke. I had the opportunity to meet a corporate leader who possesses the quiet confidence and pleasant demeanor which makes them approachable with work place issues. This leader has no problem looking you in the eye and “telling it like it is”. Their words are easy to accept as you are confident it’s the truth and you are sure the words are being said with genuine care. When you speak you know this person is listening and when they speak you know the experiences they share are full of knowledge and wisdom.
Sister Mary was my high school mentor/guidance counselor in 1977. She was a frail nun in appearance but strong in determination and was a true leader. Caring to push me to bring up my GPA. Bold in telling me about her failures. Secure enough that she found her ability. Imperfect having a hard time with her life. Joyful that she reached a position to help others get ahead. She got me a scholarship to Barry University (although I couldn't attend). Since then I have a BA in Sociology thanks to her motto: you are never too old!
yamely franco
Mrs. Susan Walton was my first principal when I start worked at Broward School District. She is a real leader. People like her have the ability to impact lives like mine. She taught me the way to be more productive and efficient with my time.
I have 2 important men in my life. One is my father, he worked for Winn-Dixie for 62 years. He started working for them at the age of 11. He started out as a bag boy and over the years became the Servie Superintendent, managing over 2000 employees. Later I to work in the same office as him and everyone I met would say that he was a tough man but he was always fair. There were 5 children in my family and even though things were tough, he made sure we always had everything we ever wanted. He would make sure every summer he would take us on a 2 week vacation. He passed away 6 years ago and I still miss him terribly.
The other person is my husband. He has always made sure to take care of everyhting. We had 3 children and just like my Father he made sure our children had everything they wanted. They all have college degrees and they do not owe a dime. He worked really hard so that I could stay home with our children until my last child went to Middle Schoool. He works for a very large company now and and when we go to a function his employees always tell me how tough he is to work for, but he knows what he is doing and is always eager to help them. I have always been able to talk to him about a problem & he is always coming up with a solution.
I have been very fortunate to have had both of these men in my life.
I can think of several people who have influenced me, but the one who is closet to me is my husband, Nick. First of all, I know that when he works, he does it as if he were working for the Lord. He cares for every employee who seeks his help. He knows what is required of his job and always seeks to be the best. He knows that he can't do it all, even though people tell me he can, he is humble enough to seek help when needed. Since we work in the same building together, I hear from everyone how hard working he is, what a great person he is, and about how helpful he is. He shows me how hard I should work and care for others. He is an encouragement to me everyday.
I have had many leaders who have had an impact on my life, perhaps I'm showing my age, but there is one that sticks out. Her name is Dr. Marie DeSanctis (Wright). I had the pleasure of working for Dr. Wright at Fort Lauderdale High School while she was principal. Although our time together was short, she had a huge impact on me. She was the type of leader who genuinely cared about you as a person, (your family, your outside interests, etc.), always made time to chat and took a genuine interest in hearing what you had to say. She is a very smart woman but wasn't afraid to not know everything. She counted on those around her to get her the answers she needed, a smart choice for a leader such as herself, in a high profile school. She really loved being a principal and wanted to make a difference in education, and it showed.
Seventeen years ago I worked for a wonderful principal in a high school. It was my first job with SBBC. I was hired to run a Xerox maching. Within six months I was placed in the Dean's office as an assistant. My principal always encouraged me to loearn and grow by assisting others. That went so well, that he nine months later offered me a position as an assistant to his confidential secretary. I was afraid of taking the postion because I though I might step on other's toes. He insisted that I take the position and told me, "if a supervisor or a boss tells you that they see potential for you to grow and advance, you should take it and don't argue." "You should trust them and accept the challenges." He gave me strength and confidence. I will never forget his wisdom and kindness. Thank you Mr. G!
Kathie NILDP 9-11-13
I was truly inspired by an Assistant Principal I worked with several years ago. She exhibited all 5 of the qualities of Unforgettable Leader. She honestly cared about everyone from her co workers to students and parents. She was always confident and firm in her discipline and yet joked at her mistakes. She bravely fought cancer for 10 years while enjoying her wish list before she lost her battle in July.
I was raised in a single parent household. I always remember my mother telling me to "Be the best that you can be,and never stop learning. You can do anything you put your mind to."
My mother was only in my life for 21 years. I remember her as being a caring, proud, hardwork,and self sufficient woman.
My mother always made sure that her children had everything before she did. She told us to remember that "life isn't always fair, it's what you make of it." As I watched my mother struggle to raise 3 children alone, I learned that hardwork and determination will get you where you need to go in life.
For these reasons, my mother was a great leader in my life. She left many memories, thoughts and positive ideas in my siblings and my life.
My unforgettable leader was my Supervisor, Annette Drumm. She hired me fresh out of trade school, giving me the opportunity of a lifetime. Opportunity of my lifetime is exactly what it has been for me. Because of her bold action, I have been an employee with the Broward County School Board for twenty-six plus years. Annette took a leap of faith in me and of my abilities. In writing this paragraph, I realized I have never thanked her but I will.
The person I have admired most is a Phyllis Schultz, a women I worked for about 11 years ago. Phyllis got her start in the office in Keansburg high school as a runner while she attended the school. Many years later she was running the office as head secretary/office manager. Phyllis never had an ill word for anyone, she could turn any situation into a learning experience in order not to let you feel you made a terrible mistake. I learned so much from her in my short time at the school. Everyone
she worked with loved and respected her, administration valued her opinion and insight. Parent loved her and asked for her advice. I am where I am today because of what I learned from her. We are still friends today and when I am on the fence about something its her I go to She will always be the leader I strive to be.
My mother has had the greatest impact on my life where leadership is concerned. From a young age my mother showed leadership qualities with our family. She was always caring and supportive, very willing to assist with “picking your battles” instead of being reactive to everyone/thing. She started working with the School Board when I was in elementary school and started out as a General Clerk at a high school. Over the course of her career, she became the Office Manager/Principal’s Secretary of numerous schools throughout the district. I always admired her drive and ability to deal with difficult situations. She is one of the reasons I am taking this class… I aspire to fill a role more fitting to my abilities and to be the strong leader that I know I can be.
As a teenager, I met Mrs. Nicole Braise, a teacher that changed life. Her words of wisdom, a model I use when making important decisions today. The afternoons I spent with Mrs. Braise provided me with the tools I needed to be a responsible and respectable adult. My life is wonderful today because I met Mrs. Braise. Although I never official thanked her, I am using this blog as an opportunity to say thank you.
The person that has been the most impact on my life has been my mother. My mom came to this country from Cuba alone with 7 children. The youngest just being 2 months old. She had the courage and strength to leave her homeland and family to give us freedom. The only family we had when we arrived was her brother living in Connecticut. That's where our family lived for the majority of our life. As you can imagine how difficult it must have been to relocate to a foreign country where you do not speak the language and raise so many kids.
My mom was determined to make a life for us here in the US. She worked two jobs to support us and did the best she could do for us. The most important thing she gave us was her love, support and the gift of freedom.
She is my leader because she gave up so much for us. I will always be grateful for all the sacrifices she made so that her children could be free and have a better life. I just hope I can be the amazing mom that she was to me.
Having worked for 4 major corporations throughout my lifetime, I have encountered many managers and supervisors. Some of them have had great leadership skills, while others did not.
Knowing that no one is perfect, I have learned to take people's qualities and learn from them in order to make me a better employee. Throughout the years, I have become more patient, understanding, and have learned to listen to others.
Everyone wants to be treated with respect. I have found that if I am open to what others are suggesting that it will make my work environment a better place.
All of my managers and supervisors have had an influence in who I am today. Because of them I was able to learn to turn negative situations into positive ones.
By Iris P. Connery
The “Unforgettable Leader” in my life was my father; Ira Whitecloud. When I close my eyes I still can hear him saying to me, “Honey, you can’t change what happen yesterday, but you can change tomorrow’s outcome.” Being the second to the youngest of fifteen children, I was always showing self doubt. Dad saw that I was always trying to be kind to everyone and he told me that sometimes it looked like I was coming off as being too overeager to please everyone. I needed to show some authority in my body language when I am showing warmth and kindness to others. I need to build up myself confidence in my voice; so others would believe in me; too, because he knew I had a loving and caring heart.
Dad was always showing me that he was a genuinely interested in what others was saying, by waiting for them to finish speaking before he would give them his opinion on the situation. I can’t remember a time that anyone around him felt like he was not giving them 100% of his listening ear. He would say time is money and if you show others you are investing in their time; then they would feel you had value, too. When my brothers, sisters, or I would start to get into a fight, he would divide us up; so he could conquer or control the situation. Then he would let each one of us give our side of the story. Before we knew it he would being having us understanding where the other one was coming from. That is one of the most thing I loved about him; everyone was just as important as the other one.
The imperfection, in my dad, was that he could not read or write until he was in his sixties. I remember, when I was in the third grade, and needed help with my homework dad was not a shame to tell me he could not read the sentence. He told me that we would learn together. The proudest moment for us was when daddy signed his name on the back of his paycheck and not a “BIG X”.
My dad taught me to offer my hand, heart, and time to others. He also, taught me that how you feel on the inside is a big reflection on your outside presentation. People respect others who respect themselves. Always, be careful on how you stand and present yourself around others.
When I am telling me children about what I learned from their grandfather and how important it is to respect yourself and you will go far. That you can be ordinary and still make a lasting impression of a leader to someone; by taking the time to work hard, learn good habits, and practice them every day. To treat others as you would want to be treated.
I know this is longer than one short paragraph, but I could not explain to you how much my dad’s leadership effect me in just a short paragraph.
My Partner in crime in the Food and Nutrition Services Department payroll area just recently retired this past summer. I refer to Judith as a partner; however, she was a great leader and teacher to me.
Judith had many, many years of experience in the business world. She taught me how to deal with employees and coworkers of all skill levels in a caring and professional manner. The most important thing she taught me, however, was not to stress or worry about things that were out of my control, but to deal with them appropriately.
Another credit to Judith is that she is the one who encouraged me to apply for this wonderful program, the Non-Instructional Leadership Development Program. If she did not push me, I may not have been doing this right now.
In conclusion, one cannot be a great leader or mentor if they do not care enough about their followers to encourage them and show them the way.
One person who stands out as someone who had a great impact on my life was my high school teacher, Mr. Foster.
Mr. Foster was different from most of my other teachers in that it was very obvious how much he truly cared for his students and our success. He let us know that we mattered and that our opinions were important. He encouraged his students to think about and discuss many events and topics in his class.
Mr. Foster was a bold and straightforward man, yet he was very down-to-earth. He made his students feel secure if they ever needed to ask for his opinion or advice. He didn’t sugar coat anything. You always knew you were getting the “real deal” from him, and for that I greatly respected him.
A great leader is one that's empatheic, While yet stern at the same time. can tell you what you need to hear, but says it with a heart full of love. A great leader is one who stands with their team, and not shy away on the sideline. These great charactersics are what I see in my Directoe Susan Rockelman. This woman has so much postive energy to share with us at all times. What I like about her no matter goes on she continually work on the side of us to ensure that the job gets done. She never leaves us when help is needed. Susan is from meetings to meetings and still has a willing heart to assit. At times, I say to my self "What word can discribe this woman". Simple, she's a Blessing from God up above. As I don't know many bosses like her.
Beverly said...The guidance counselor at my school has had the biggest impact on me. She has encouraged me to go back to school and achieve my Bachelor degree and continues to harass me about getting my Masters, which I will do soon. But the best advice from her was "stop making excuses and go for it"
Kelly Dawson has always taught me so much about leadership and leadership skills. She knows how to engage her staff and lead them towards success. She also is always there for me when I feel overwhelmed or when I just want to give up. She has made a difference to my leadership style by coaching and providing me with the help I need with my staff. One day I hope to be as good as a leader as she is.
About 20 years ago, when I worked at an orthodontist's office, I had the pleasure of meeting a consultant named Jackie Shoemaker. Jackie was hired to analyze the practice and find ways to increase productivity while improving the patient's experience. The moment she walked in the door, I knew she was a leader. After getting to know her during her two days at our office, it was obvious that she was a very intelligent, determined, and confident woman, well-respected in her industry, and I knew I could learn a lot from her.
A few years after her visit, I had my first child and decided to become a stay-at-home mom. I did need to earn some extra cash so I called Jackie to see if she knew of any opportunities where I could work from home. Immediately, she told me about another business she was starting up and provided work for me to do for her from my home so that I could stay home with my baby. As a caring leader would, Jackie understood that she could trust me with working from home and getting the job done. She was very flexible with my hours and let me set my own schedule. She taught me many aspects of her business and eventually encouraged me to start my own small home-based business which made it possible for me to stay home with my 4 kids until very recently.
Twenty years later, I still work about 15 hours per month for Jackie from home. We have maintained a very special relationship that I deeply respect. Her guidance and leadership made a huge impact on me, allowing me to grow and set goals for myself in all aspects of my life. I hope I can eventually have that kind of impact on someone in the future.
This article was really fantastic! Some of the key words and phrases that I highlighted were "positive legacy," "impacts lives," "cares about people," and "tells the truth."
The person that I kept thinking about was my favorite principal. One morning, she mentioned to me that she wanted to see me before the end of the day and to stop by her office. I was so nervous thinking that I did something wrong and fearing that I would get in trouble. When I arrived in her office, there was a honey baked ham sitting on her desk. She told me that she really appreciated my contributions to the school and to please accept this gift to enjoy with my family. Honestly, I almost cried right in front of her, but I saved it for the car! I actually took the meat to my auntie's house during the holidays and 30 of us enjoyed it. When they were asking who got the ham, I told them that my supervisor gave it to me as a gift. They said, "Wow...this is a person who really values your work." That made me feel great! What a total motivator, another characteristic of an unforgettable leader!!! I will never forget this gesture.
My most memorable Leader and Mentor was my father, Peter Granek. He owned his own Tile Company and was a very hard worker. He was a fair employer, who never expected more from his employees than he could do himself. He valued every employee for what they could bring to the work place, and always encouraged learning new things. I think of all my previous employers, and he is the one that stands out the most. He had very strong work ethics. Peter always shared his knowledge and tricks of the trade. At the same time he would look for opinions and suggestions of how to improve his methods. He was an outgoing and friendly employer. He always stayed late and got the job done. When I am asked where I became such a hard worker that puts every effort into accomplishing a task, I think of him.
Dorothy- The person who greatly impacted my life from my teenaged years through adulthood, is Mary Washington. Her knowledge, wisdom,understanding and caring ways helped me to become the wonderful person that I am. She was indeed a true leader that I would follow around the globe. She was the director over the Human Resource Department also known as the Hepburn Center. At a very early age working for her after-school, she taught me the value of leadership skills. She had a very positive impact on my life and I thank her to the bottom of my heart. She is now retired and still she makes time to reach out to her community. She will be very proud to know that I'm taking the Leadership Program.
Besides my parents, I think the biggest leader in my life would be a store manager at a store where I worked when I was much, much younger. I worked there for many years, on and off, full-time and part-time.
This manager really cared about me. I had left working part-time at the store and had not seen her for a while, and I saw her one day at a restaurant. I was very pregnant and she told me, when I was ready to come back, to call her. So after having my first child, I called her and she re-hired me back to work. And after that time, I stayed for five years full-time working there. When she retired and moved away, it was a sad day for most of the entire store.
She was a strong, but mild mannered person. She was a quiet lady but such a nice person, the customers and employees loved her. I remember a few times she would stand at the time clock and make sure people did not punch in and then put their belongings away, go talk with co-workers, check their make-up, etc. She told the employees that you do not punch in until you were ready to go out to the sales floor and start to work.
I did feel secure working with/for her. I remember one Christmas, since she liked how I worked, I was able to have over 40 hours of overtime. I worked 81 hours in one week and at that time of year that extra pay was GREAT!! My work was in a showroom/jewelry store and when I was cashiering in the jewelry department we had to watch the customers, looking for potential problems. At that time, there were smash and grabs and the cashiers were to watch the employees handing the jewelry to the customers and report any thing that may have occurred.
She may have had imperfections, but she was close to perfect to me.
I feel the employees felt joy when they worked. We had many long-time employees in our store. We really enjoyed our work and loved being there. Until she retired, many people stayed and worked for her.
To this day, I do things that I learned under her management in my current jobs.
The man that had the biggest impact on my life was a man that I read about as a young boy but didn't meet till I was in my early 20's.
This man was a mans man yet He was loving. He was a teacher always "stretching" me to reach my full potential, even if it didn't feel good at the time, it was always for my best interest.
He was a man that was Very strong yet humble at the same time. Never doing anything ordinary yet always teaching and loving at the same time.
This man still has a profound effect on me too this day in the way I lead and live my life. His name is Jesus.
In the 19 years I have been in the school board and the 5 different department I have worked in, have given me the experience to work with many diversified leaders. I have taken many virtues from each one of them. All aligning with more than 5 ways that make an unforgettable leader. Each of them possessing joy, support, encouragement, secure, bold and a vast of knowledge in many areas. I admire each and every one of them, and to this day they are not only my mentors but they have become good friends. They are the leaders that have most influenced my career and still give me the strength and support to keep reaching higher in my education.
There are many people who have impacted my life in one or more ways, not all have necessarily been for the better but I have learned from all of them.
In high school I had a teacher that impacted my life tremendously and cared deeply for all of the students. Ms. Petty went above and beyond to show you that you were/are special and when times got tough for me, really cared enough to keep me pushing forward. To this day, Ms. Petty and I are in contact and she is still making sure that I am continuing with my goals.
As for employers, Ms. Doll was the bold leader that I learned a lot from and carried it with me to my new position. Ms. Doll's courage to tell you as it is, as harsh at it might have been, was never sugar coated but always the truth. Ms. Doll has impacted me in many ways and has played a part in me getting to the position I hold today. Another leader that has steered me in the direction I am going today is a bookkeeper that I had the chance to work with taught me that the confidence I have in myself helps me to lead others in succeeding and that I too am not perfect. Ms. Cohen is constantly making an impact with her guidance and has taught me to go each day knowing that I too can make a difference. I feel that I can always improve on caring, boldness, being secure, sharing that I am imperfect and bringing joy to others because each day is a new day and the learning experiences in front of me are different.
The person who has had an impact on my life came to me four years ago. When she first came she called me into her office and spoke to me about what she thought and expected of me as her secretary. She did it in a way that was respectful and straight forward(I really appreciated that). After she finished speaking she ask if I had anything to say so I told her that I just want to be respected. We continued to meet after the meeting I remember thinking finally someone who I can relate to and that outfit she has on is NICE!! From the day she started she has helped, supported and encouraged me to do better. She is a strong woman. She does not use her strength or position to bully, shame or make you feel beneath her. She uses her strength and position to help you grow. She is truly a woman of encouragement and style. Over the past four years she has become more than a Supervisor She is my mentor and friend. Their is one more person that I feel has had an impact on my life. He knows how to be calm and patient in all situations and this year I will learn from him how to be calm and patient in all situations. He has also become my friend.
Sandra Findlay:
A great leader is someone who has set values in serving people with a strong sensitive, kind attitude with a positive outlook of life. The one person who had a great impact on my life was my dad. He called himself the “king of the Jungle”, because of his birth sign. (Leo), which he told us his sign was the strongest in the Zodiac. He always told his four kids, that you should lead by example. If you want someone to do something. It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it, having a friendly, Positive energy towards people. He taught us to care for one another to always be kind. He always stated that appearance is a must if you look good and feel good people will have respect for you cause you have respect for yourself so always make an effort in the way you look because impressions goes along way.
My dad always instilled the good values of how it is important to be on time in anything you do in life. He always ready for work before the sun came out. No matter what our situation at home. He taught us a smile goes a long way to win the heart of others.
Charley Bush-------A pair of the most memorable and influential leaders in my life came by way of what I like to call the two headed monster>.(Rayfield Henderson and Joyce Ferguson, they were sent to Boyd Anderson High School to co-principal. Although they had two totally different leadership styles they worked very well together,they were like the hammer and nails. During their 3 year reign at the school I don't think we ever achieved so much and I had so much personal gain. They dealt with each individual very hands on and personable. I didn't understand why Ms. Ferguson was always on my case about any little thing all the time. She would call me to her office and let me have it all the time, while I thought I was doing a good job. Excellence was expected, not good!! After our relationship grew she then told me it was tough love and she saw something in me and it was her responsibility to press out the great leader inside of me. Mr. Henderson on the other hand was all about business and did not want to hear excuses he only wanted to see results. The two of them required alot but they also gave alot of themselves. They came in as proven leaders and left as even greater leaders from all of their many accomplishments in such a short time. I strive to be a great and proven leader just as the two of them are>>>>
My mother is one person who really impacted my life. She not only did her motherly duties but she really cared for not just me but people in general. She was very caring and always went out of her way just to see about you. She would always tell me the truth no matter if it hurt my feelings or not because she wanted and knew that I could do and be more. She was never ashamed to talk about the mistakes that she made but always encouraged me to always get back up. She always made me happy because I knew that she really cared for me. My mother was a true fighter - she would always strive to do her best at everything she put her hands to do. In my early years of employment, my supervisors/boss never cared about me as a person - it seemed that as long as I showed up and worked nothing else really mattered. Now that I am older I know that I was made for more. I want so much to grow professionally. I am determined to become all that I can be. I thank my mother so much for all that she was - unforgettable!!
The one person that made a lasting impression in my life was my Pastor, Pastor Lynette. I remember many years ago she said whether we like it or not, our mental self-portrait, that’s our self-image, has a tremendous bearing on our emotional and spiritual well-being. She goes on to say an adequate self-concept is a precious possession but an inadequate self-concept of our self is a handicap. I take this message along with the numerous hours of one on one teachings by my Pastor and apply it to all of my life from being a total negative, fragile person to building a strong vibrant self-portrait of myself and assisting others to do the same.
She mentored me I am to mentor other. My own professional growth was facilitate from the experience gain by mentoring others. This organizational asset allows me to strengthen my coaching and leadership skills by working with individual from different backgrounds and different personality types. Interacting with the Father was so natural that others around Him could not help but do the same in the same way working through a difficult conflict resolution, followers will discover their own connection as to how to handle situations.
I was Lead to discover my own purpose and identity. I was taught by genuinely wanting others to fully discover who they were made to be, will gives them the tool to address workplace issues and strategic development, thus helping followers to discover their own identity and overcome obstacles standing in their way. Anyone functioning in an area of their created identity and strength will always be more productive that those who are simply trying to fill a position or role.
I learnt to lead others into transformation not just production. Production will always be a natural outcome when the goal is self-growth and health. Lifting up others and helping them to discover their own transformation gives them the sense of loyalty and morality thus giving me, the leader, a passion in those who follow. I learn that people and organization will move from just production to a transformational impact with this passion. This is an awesome feeling when I see this transformation as a result of my mentoring, it helped me to grow as an individual.
Pastor Lynette has the ability to always impact her atmosphere, she transforms the immediate power of storms and restore vision at times when there is tension, fear, or apathy. Being able to restore the vitality and hope in each and every one of us filling the room with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and gentleness, even while speaking hard things is a powerful tool to accomplish.
I was taught to see old things in new ways and was able to teach others the same. As we know many people are stuck not in their circumstances, but in their perspectives and their own way of doing things. Like I have learnt the word repent I take it as to think differently to think a different way. My Pastor say, “Jesus called people to look again at old realities through new eyes”. Changing ways of thinking always leads a meaningful change.
These a just some of the leadership qualities that I could not forget and are working on carrying it and applying it in all areas of my life.
My mother was my leadership role model. My mother encouraged me to care about me and what i wanted i life. There is other person who had influenced me,Mrs Casandra D.Robison my principal. I have known Mrs. Robinson for about fifteen years. I started working at Dillard in 1995 when i met her/she was working in the mail room. Now she is the Principal. I went to her one day and ask can do something different at work she said what would you like to do.I would like to work in the front office answer the phone and help parents.That made me feel really good when she said yes. Well let me tell you the i had the capable h all the time Mrs Robinson gave me the opportunity. She is the one who encouraged to take this leadership class. Mrs.Robinson gave me strength and confidence.
Besides my grandmother whom taught me to be the strong woman that I am today I would say my first principal Dr. McDaniel. I came into the school board late but had decided to make a change. Dr. McDaniel was a very caring and encouraging person. She encouraged me to take all the classes that I needed to move up in my position. She moved me to night lead and told
me that I had what it takes to be the head. It was not easy to move up for a woman in a position dominated by men. But with
her encouragement and hard work I did move up and I am so glad that she pushed me to see my full potential She was always
fair with her staff. She would say if you do it for one you have to do it for all.
Dr. McDaniel is now retired and I am very glad that I had the opportunity to work for her she showed all the qualities of a good
leader. She had a way to make you believe that you could always improve and never quit learning.
Terry Moody
The one person who had an impact on my life was my first boss in the broward school system. She was the guidance director, and I was hired as a guidance data specialist, which was a very new position within the county school system. She taught me from soup to nuts how to do my work efficiently, rather than quickly, because ultimately perfection was her goal! She took the time to train me with notes and outlines, rather than leaving me to my own devices to figure stuff out. I truly appreciated all the one on one attention and encouragement she gave to each person on her team (which would be the counsellors, clerical staff, brace advisor and registrar. She was organized and you knew exactly what was expected of you for any given project! Although she would expect us to move mountains, she was always there to guide us through. She was strong and opionated, but extremely fair and I enjoyed the challenge of working to the best of my ability. Although it has been 8 years since day we've worked together there are still certain things I do because of her.
I have been fortunate to have many great leaders at different stages in my journey.
As an awkward shy child I have developed through the best Grandparents, Parents, Brothers and Sister with their love, support, guidance, tough love/truthfulness along with many celebrations.
Throughout my working career the leaders who taught me the above reproach work ethics I have today are those who make me accountable for my work while giving me the opportunities, tools and training to pursue my thirst to learn something that has a purpose and meaning to reach my goals.
I have each and every one of them to thank for shaping me into the man I am today.
One of the people that I remember making an impact on my life was a principal of mine when I was a custodian. He always had time to talk to me, even as a custodian. He encouraged me to "Go For It" with whatever I thought would be good for me. He encouraged my to go back to school. When I completed my Associates he put in the Micro Tech / Head Custodian position at my school. He did not micro-manage me, and trusted that I would get the jobs completed. He valued my input, and trusted my decisions. If someone had an issue with Technical / Custodial issues, he would ask the person if they had spoken to me about it. If the answer was no, he would point them in my direction, and would trust the issue would be resolved. I looked and still look up to Desmond Blackburn, and can still reach out to him. I still watch what he accomplishes, from Teacher, to AP, to Principal, to Area Director for School Improvement, Area Superintendent, Chief School Accountability Officer, and to Brevard County Superintendent. Desmond has always told me to never get comfortable with what your doing, and always strive to do the best you can, not matter what you do. To always treat people with respect, and treat them how you want to be treated. I will continue to follow his endeavors, and will always strive to do better for me and the people I work for and assist.
When I think of a great leader only one person comes to mind. She was the Principal at the school I first worked at. She saw something in me and I saw a lot in her that till this day still makes a difference in my life. Her trust and confidence in me has helped me not be afraid to reach out for more. Never settle for anything less, as she would say.
She possesses the five characteristics mentioned in Ms. Cran's article; caring, bold, sure of herself, imperfect and unforgettable. She is a charismatic and talented woman with an iron fist, and a warm heart.
My thank you goes to Mrs. Irene Cejka for the positive impact she has made in being that "Unforgettable Leader."
My present Leader/Director , Ms. Pat Snell has inspired me to be a better leader because of the way she leads
She is bold and fears little to accomplish a lot.
she is passionate about her peers and employees.
She is imperfect and says it enables her to keep learning.
She brings joy into the work place by just by being herself.
As I read the article "5 Ways to Be an Unforgettable Leader" I realize that my foundation and positive qualities were established years ago by my fifth grader teacher, Mrs. Kennedy. This teacher left a lifelong impact in me by preaching the 5 core statements... Care, Bold, Secure, Imperfect and Joy.
As my life journey continued past those years and life changing events occurred unconsciously I followed her advice. Now, I can proclaim that these precise memorable things are what formed and open doors for me in my professional career and relationships with my superiors.
I have experienced that by caring and boldly confronting my co-workers with sensitivity, respect is gained. It's not what is said but how it is said that makes the big difference. One that accepts the fact that no one is perfect and that we all make mistakes also gains respect and maintains harmony which leads to a joyous environment.
Situations can be turned into positive ones if a good leader sets the example because I believe all attitudes, good or bad, stem from the top. The manner in which a leader leads his/her workers is what distinguish the good from the exceptional leader.
It is my belief that an unforgettable leader posses all the mention qualities in the reading, 5 Ways to Be an Unforgettable Leader.
When I think of a great leader, I think of someone that impacts everyone around them, someone that posses creativity, a positive attitude, and who wants to see others succeed. I believe it take a strong minded person with exemplary leadership skills to leave a positive legacy in the lives of those that are following them.
Within my short years of working for SBBC, there is one unforgettable leaders that has such a tremendous impact on my life. This person really pushes me to the core and takes his role seriously as being a leader.
My present Director is genuine when it comes to the concerns of others, especially those he lead. Not only does he wants to see us succeed, but he is also concerned about us as a person and not just as employees. He is bold in his approach when he needs to be, which I find to be the best practice because it only helps me to become much better at my job. He is secure in knowing that even he can make a mistake; no one is perfect... and it brings joy to his heart when he sees that his whole team is succeeding!
My goal...to become an unforgettable leader! :)
My unforgettable leader i've had was Marie Vazquez when I worked at Sheridan Health Care back in my 30's. Marie took pride in her roll. Marie knowledge and passion to show you how to be the best at your job was so felt. She was very direct and upfront with you, yet she always showed you and helped you to fix the mistake. Her favorite saying "a mistake isn't a mistake until you refused to fix it". this was letting you know she wasn't perfect as well. She would always give you advise to help you be the best at what every your job would be in life. Truly a good leader.
Veronica Williams-Brown
Throughout my years working with the School Board of Broward County, I’ve had the pleasure working with different levels of Administrators. I started pretty young, 20yrs old, just moved here from New York, and yes, I definitely needed some leadership guidance within work and outside of work.
Within the School Board, because it was my first time working at a school, so I didn’t know what to expect and I’m thankful for my Principal at the time, Dr. Cheryl Cendan, for taking me in teaching me the ropes, learned the true meaning Quality Customer Service, patience, to keep progressing and move forward. Outside of work, because Florida was so new for me, I had my grandfather who understood what I was going through. He showed me the ropes of how to adjust to my new lifestyle. Both were quite the challenge, however, I strived to succeed.
As I progressed, I made mistakes, learned from them, been trained and now I’m at level where I feel confidant to train others which is an accomplishment.
Now at Broward Virtual, my administrators consider me as their right hand, which is amazing. And they’re prepping me to take on the Leadership role and delegate, sort of take charge little by little to my fellow co-workers. And that right there is the answer to, Which of these 5 things do I need to work on? It’s is being Bold. I believe it’s more because since I don’t hold the title, ie: Office Manager or Administrator, I don’t feel comfortable to delegate, etc. Within time, I am positive that I’ll exceed in a leadership role and feel comfortable to do what is expected and more with the necessary training.
Many of us in our lifetime will leave a lasting impression on someone else’s life. Whether it is good or bad, we should make that impression a good one. One that will help to positively influenced the lives of those around us. I believe that a balanced life is well lived and capable of inspiring those who will one day be leaders. “Who am I”? Why am I here?” What is my purpose?”, as I asked myself these questions I recognized that I have many leaders in my life, all of which have taught me valuable lessons that molded me into the person that I am today.
My parents have influenced my attitude and confidence to be supportive, patient, and compassionate towards others. My family, have taught me to be flexible and show love. Having taken the time to dig deeper and develop a source of strength in my faith, my religious conviction have been greatly influence by my pastor. Being lead by a boss with great management skills has helped me to develop my ethical ability, willingness to listen and competence to achieve greater success in what I do.
Each of the individuals, who I consider leaders, helps to bring out many aspects of my personality and encourage me to become a well-rounded person. Having this diversity of individuals in my life is a blessing and I hope to take what they have taught me and impact someone else’s life.
A couple of people come to mind as I read the article... For starters, my husband is not only a great leader and director for the company he works for, but the roll as a great father, provider and head of the house, attributes that he instilled in our two sons as well. My current principal is another phenomenal example of a great leader. She is knowledgeable, professional, and responsible, making it a pleasure working alongside her.
I must say that I have been blessed to have and had leaders that impacted my life. I want to recognize two special ladies. The first, was my mother Catherine D. Sirmons she has put a lasting impression on my life. This lady instilled in me values, moral and respect. She was a woman of wisdom, strength and love. It has been (2) years since she departed from this world but her positive legacy lives on in me and through me. She is definitely a Unforgettable Leader and with honor I acknowledged her lasting impression on my life.Next, I admired and I am so grateful to have a leader in my life such as Dr. Diane Lazare.
She is one of the Senior Pastor at The Light Center. I have been a member of this church for the past 12 years and currently serves as one of the clergy. Pastor Diane Lazare is definitely a awesome leader. As I started reading the 5 things a memorable leader does I immediately thought of her. In my book, she qualify for number 1 to number 5. She has help me physical, mentally and spiritually. She has impacted so many lives and through her hard work and passion it is taking her to that next level. She was just honored at Women 2 Women and received a award which said "Spirit of Excellence in Leadership Awards.
She has impacted my life by mentoring me and giving me spiritual guidance. If I would reflect from 5 memorable things I would choice 1 and number 2 because for theses ladies In closing there are many more ladies and mens that have impacted that I wanted to share.
Post a Comment